THE HOPPER POETRY PRIZE
View previous contest winners here.
The Hopper, a literary magazine from Green Writers Press, will open for submissions of full-length manuscripts to its 2018 Hopper Poetry Prize in March 2018. This contest is open to poets with an identified interest in the natural world and whose work explores issues tied to our ever-changing environment. The winning poetry manuscript will be selected by the editors of The Hopper in collaboration with Dede Cummings, publisher of Green Writers Press, to be published by Green Writers Press as a collection in 2019. The winning poet will also receive $250 in prize money.
The competition is open to all poets, regardless of publication history. Publication is contingent on the poet’s agreeing to the terms of the publishing agreement.
There is an entry fee of $25, and manuscripts may be uploaded via Submittable. Please follow these guidelines in preparing your manuscript:
1. Submissions must be original, book-length poetry manuscripts written in the English language. Translations are not accepted.
2. Poets may submit several manuscripts, but an entry fee must be paid for each submission.
3. The manuscript must be a minimum of 45 pages and a maximum of 90 pages in length. All manuscripts must be paginated. Each new poem must start on a new page.
4. When formatting the manuscript, please make it legible. All documents must be typed/word-processed. Please select a standard typeface (such as Bodoni, Garamond, or Times New Roman) in at least 12-point type. Manuscripts may be single-spaced, double-spaced, or 1.5-spaced.
5. The Hopper Poetry Prize reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason.
Schedule of Proceedings:
March 1, 2018–July 1, 2018: Submissions open
July 2018: Deliberations
July 31, 2018: Winner notified
August 1, 2018: Winner announced
Fall–Winter 2018: Editing and designing of book
2019: Book published